PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stuck mic on MAN frequency yesterday
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2005, 22:42
cactusbusdrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, slightly off topic and verbose but maybe you'll enjoy this story.

Years ago I was bumped back to the RHS of a 737 due to the company reducing flying. We were flying from Las Vegas to San Diego, about a 55 minute flight during the day and even less at the 0010 local departure time. The Captain was fairly senior and a great guy. I was PNF and for some reason I was stricken with the desire to have us pop up to FL 370 for the hop to SAN, saving fuel or some such nonsense. He looked at me a little funny but told me to go ahead and ask ATC. The controller agreed, and we had a delightful night at 370 for all of 5 minutes before it was time to start down. SAN had the usual "marine layer" overcast at 1000' with 6 miles vis.

I was off getting ATIS and calling company and talking to the back end and by the time I came back up on #1 radio I noticed we hadn't started down and we were now about 80 miles out. I kind of felt stupid for asking him to fly high and I thought I should now keep my mouth shut and just be a good F/O. We had a discretion clearance to descend to 10,000' and we were going to fly the localiser only approach to 27.

About 65 miles out he finally says "time to start down" (Yeah, about 20 miles late, thinks I) and we merrily amble down to 10000. We are in a EFIS 300 so we have the map and the VNAV doughnut and I have the prog page 2 up which says we are about 9000' high on the profile.

We get turned over to approach who, naturally, asks us if we can get down. "No problem", says the skipper and I dutifully relay that bit of fiction to approach. We cross the FAF about 600 feet high and are plummeting down to MDA with everything hanging out. We hit the MDA and I am staring at the numbers about to pass under the nose. I ask for a right 360, and the tower says "unable" as he should with a 900 foot ceiling and apartment buildings on the hills around us. Skipper says "OK - Go around". We go around and fly our missed approach. Tower switches us back to apprach and before I check on with him I make a PA to the back telling the folks that ATC kept us high and we had to go around.

I check in with Approach and after giving us heading and altitudes for the next approach he says "what did you tell the passengers?" I ask "What do you mean?" He says "the last time I was on a flight the crew blamed the go-around on ATC when they were way too high for the approach."

Thinking fast I said "Well we would never do that, I blamed it on a Southwest flight that didn't clear the runway fast enough for us". The controller said "OK" and turned us in to the fix for the approach. We checked in with tower, the skipper made a nice approach and landing and all was well. As we turned off the runway at 0130 hours, nothing but the mice moving on the field, the tower guy said "Taxi to the gate, give way to Southwest on the ramp." Looking around, I couldn't see anything else stirring. I said "What Southwest?" He said "You know, the one you went around for".

Just goes to show you should never lie to ATC.