PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic Airlines/Air
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2005, 19:17
GreekPilot747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olympian you have some very valid points here.

Believe me I do not want OA to shut down, I have friends there.

You mention one thing that is a main problem here:
"Political cost"!
To me it translates to the inability of the greek state to be governed, and see some reforms and progress realized.
As long as politicians only decide with their reelection in mind, Greece is condemned to fail in the longterm.
As long as members of parliaments´ main occupation is to provide employment for voters, politics is being held hostage by exactly these voters when election day comes up. Sometimes companies go through difficult times and unpopular measures are adequate to ensure their survival.
As for the debts of the greek state towards OA: How many times, have OA´s debts been written off? Again and again and again.
Still the company only accumulates losses. So something is wrong in the setup. Is there a will to change something?
If not, I am pessimistic about the outcome.

And by the way the "Uncle from America" does not seem to be the solution. A few weeks ago these people had a hard time, to prove they have the financial strength to buy OA. Now they claim, they can buy OA, takeover the burden of returning the money demanded by the EU to the state, and not lay off anybody.
Has it ever occured to you, that these people are just an excuse, to prevent the bomb going off while it is in the hands of the state.
To me it looks like the government might let them take over, so when the 5hit hits the fan, they are not involved any more.
No "political cost" in that case....