PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UASs CUT
Thread: UASs CUT
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2005, 10:17
rodan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As one who spent time in the UAS system during the 3 years that straddled the switch to EFT, I am dismayed at this neutering of the UAS system.

The EFT idea was always a bad one, although it perhaps delayed this inevitable outcome by a few years. The old system, however, had much to commend it - bright undergrads were given the time and space to work on their degrees whilst gaining invaluable experience, in both flying and the RAF way of life, with no pressure other than passing checks and proving themself not to be a pillock in the bar. No need to prove fast jet potential, that could wait until EFT proper when they would bring their accumulated experience and 100% of their effort to bear on the task.

So what will we have now? 3 years of IOT preparation with a laughable nod to what really drives these people with 10 hours a year of AEF? I might have joined a UAS like that, having spent several years in the ATC and made my mind up a long time before that I wanted to join the RAF. Would a proportion of my erstwhile colleagues, many of whom are now RAF aircrew, have joined? Doubtful.

The fight for the brightest and best graduates is more intense than ever, and the forces are not in fashion at the moment. 'Advanced Air Cadets' is certainly not going to help the cause.