PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chieftain Turbocharger run down times
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2005, 04:51
Jet_A_Knight

Metrosexual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creampuff - thanks for pointing out the relevance of Deakin's LOP ops for turbos - it's been a while since I read those articles.

Gaunty - A truly amazing story, which brings to light (amongst the stupidity of it all) another problem with many pilots: Their lack UNDERSTANDING of the systems, and their inter-relationships.

It's one thing to 'know' the systems, it's another to actually understand it.

In their (sort of defence) you can't always blame the pilot for not having the depth of understanding of the 'machine'. The typical CASA engineering quiz that one does when doing a type endorsement is not detailed enough, in my opinion, and gaining access to aircraft engineering manuals &/or parts catalogues, is a difficult excercise and one has to actively seek out sympathetic engineers ormaintenance organisations in order to 'borrow' and copy pertinent parts of those manuals.

Personally, I always strived to get an engineers' type understanding of the machine and its parts - not that I could fix it airborne (or on the ground) - but that level of understanding allowed me to spot developing, or actual, problems and communicate those problems more effectively to the LAME's to give them a better chance at troubleshooting, fault finding & fixing the problem. That helped me maintain my schedule integrity, inform operations of foreseeable problems so they can re-plan things or get an effective rescue going early on in the piece - without comprimising safety.

When you know and understand the machine, you realise what a load of bollocks some of the pointlessly crazy stunts people pull with these aeroplanes.