PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Situational Awareness and the Lookout
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2005, 23:58
dharmesh4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this thread is sure taking an interesting turn and sure is cheering me up for the deletion of my thread calling for pilots for my research.

Genghis, I really appreciated your feedback and advice. I have to admit that when it comes to aviation, I am only an admirer of military aircrafts but would really love to get into it more.

Well first of all, my research is not at the Phd level but at the Masters level. I do have plans to continue doing my research into SA for a Phd. I believe that I have much to learn from you and this forum.

SA, with regard to being aware of what is going on around you is an essential part of the training of all cockpit aircrew (which nowadays primarily means pilots, but may well include navigators, WSOs, helicopter crewmen and so-on.) Whilst it may not be named as a specific subject in many syllabi, it is nonetheless an important part of the training of all of us. It also necessarily includes air traffickers in their various guises.
I think this is probably where I got it wrong then but in no way did I mean that with SA in systems anyone could easily pilot an aircraft.

This I'm afraid is somewhere that I think you are potentially very very wrong. A great many modern cockpits, particularly in a GA environment are an ergonomic nightmare and aircrew are often at great risk of SA being degraded due to information overload.
Well most of the systems I know of are only prototypes and to my knowledge none has yet been implemented in an aircraft yet. Much research is going on in Synthetic Vision Displays for enhancing SA and this involves using digital displays. One of the goals of SA is in fact to reduce information overload. I am saying this according to the book by Mica Endsley - Designing for Situation Awareness.

Firstly I wonder if you can work out how I now know you aren't a native speaker of English
Nop sorry could not work it out how you found it. I am not a native speaker of English indeed. I am from Mauritius.

Secondly, and I speak as somebody familiar with university level aeronautical research YOU HAVE GOT TO GET YOURSELF INTO THE AIRBORNE ENVIRONMENT. Cadge lifts in local flying club light aircraft, see if you can get a concession to jump-ride on some military or civil airliner flights, even join a local gliding club. You will never properly understand the subject you are studying unless you immerse yourself in it properly. Also, spend some quality time sat looking over an airfield controllers shoulder somewhere.
Noted and many thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated. I have to say that I come from a computing background and I do not know too much about aviation.

High Wing Drifter thanks for the welcome but let's talk business

VFR flying in uncontrolled airspace requires constant awareness of your navigation, engine/fuel condition, a/c attitude, R/T and knowledge of what is occupying the near sky in virtually a 180 deg area round, above and below you. Doing all these activities to a reasonable level of frequency and diligance without impinging on the effectiveness or efficiency of the others is definately a learnt skill for most people (me included).
I do understand the complexity of flying but in no means did I mean that anyone could pop into a plane and fly it.

Big call to all pilots out there, PM me if you want to participate in my research on SA.

I still can't believe thay deleted my thread calling out for pilots in the military forum