PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chieftain Turbocharger run down times
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2005, 12:39
Jet_A_Knight

Metrosexual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check that the EGT is below 800 degrees
Jee-zus Backfire, I hope you mean 300 degrees! 800 degrees would definitley make a huge mess of the turbocharger!

It's been a while since I flew a Chieftain, but some of the stuff Centaurus is mentioning seems too OTT.

1. 1200rpm taxi with brakes is definitely unnecessary. I flew them mostly night operations and never had problems with having enough electrical power at taxi at normal taxi rpm. Putting all that heat into the brakes, even with the BIG brakes option is pointless.

What happens in the event of an aborted TKO, or worse, and EFATO still below blue line?

At ANY speed below blue line, and that bird ain't gonna fly, so a re-land is the only option, and you're gonna need every single bit of brake energy to ensure that you hit the fence at the end of the runway at the lowest opossible GS.

2. Mag check at cruise power is unnecessary. The mags were checked during run-ups, right? So they should be working fine. If a magneto does fail inflight, it will be noticeable. This sort of excercise airborne for the sake of 'schedule integrity' risks engine damage and subsequent urgency/emergency situation, and introduces a risk to the safe outcome of the flight - unnecessarily.

3. The turbochargers, if my memory serves me correctly, are not really on boost at pwer setting of 24" MAP or less. Typical power settings in the circuit range from about 18"MAP to 24"MAP depending on AUW and position (downwind or base/final). A 3 minute dwell time after landing is appropriate, and more if excessive power was used for the landing (eg correcting for below GS or low approach).

You hear of so many 'voodoo' methods of operating Chieftains, it can really be incredulous. I would be surprised that CASA are approving such procedures as mentioned by Centaurus that have no basis in manufacturer's data or procedures.

If they are approving this, what the hell are they doing???

PS Creamy, As far as I understand, the L.O.P procedures that Deakin advocates are in combination with aftermarket EGT gauges (using egt probes on individual cylinders) and (GAMI) Injectors. Standard EGT gauges are not accurate enough and do not measure EGT at each cylinder. Also, from memory, the LOP stuff was for normally aspirated engines, not turbocharged (but i could be incorrect on the last matter).