PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Situational Awareness and the Lookout
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2005, 09:56
dharmesh4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, could not stop myself from joining this thread.

Well being a student researcher in the field of situational awareness domain, I have to say that SA is not only confined to military pilots nowadays, as there has been some research going on in commercial flights as well and there have been new technologies like highway-in-sky that provide guidance information on external displays within avionics displays. Technology is only here to enhance the ability of pilots and enhance their human capabilities beyond their physiological limits. As far as I know, situational awareness does not need any training; the burden is put on technology rather than the pilot. Designing for pilot situational awareness is designing towards their goals which are often dynamic, that is change over time. I do not have any piloting experience but situational awareness is designed so that the time and avionics complexity pressure is lessened on them, according to other researches and reports.

I can only say one thing, avionics displays are bringing much improvement to flying be it military or commercial flights. Embracing them will only ensure flight safety and effectiveness.

By the way, I am doing a research and I do lack some pilot information in my research. So if anyone wants to help, please give me a shout as I would really apppreciate any help from you guys out here be it military pilots or commercial pilots.

If you would like to know more about the technologies being developed for future aircrafts, gimme a shout.

Hope this helps.