PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2001, 12:55
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 431 Likes on 227 Posts
Arm,

You are right about the difficulty of co-ordinating two pilots during the mainipulation of engine controls; we also used to operate the Puma single pilot which meant the pilot didn't have enough hands, with the ECLs being in the roof panel!

On many larger aircraft in the civilian role it just isn't practical to go messing about with ECLs for practice. On many it isn't allowed, even with an instructor on board, so it can only be practiced in a simulator which means it doesn't get done on a regular enough basis for crews to be really good at it. Some will no doubt argue this one, but I maintain that if it happens for real then there will be some element of the experimental for most line crews.

Personally I would prefer an area of hard surface because if a run-on landing is required and the aircraft does touch down with some yaw it is is a little more forgiving i.e. there is less chance of a wheel or skid digging in and the aircraft rolling over. Of course in UK our grassy areas are usually very soft and muddy which makes our problem worse!

It is a really good idea to keep on discussing tail rotor problems. In the past they were seldom covered in sufficient detail (well done, Sikorsky and FSI for having more recently put some detailed thought into it and come up with useful advice). Those who have never seen one for real or in a simulator (like myself a few years back) need to have the basic principles in the back of their mind. Also, on a selfish basis I like to keep my own dull brain refreshed because I see it as a very cheap life insurance policy.

Two engines is great but there is still only one tail rotor drive shaft and control system!

ShyT