PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2005, 13:07
Rotator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S76'B'

Ascend Charlie's spot on. Buy the 'B' model for the Grunt or for Hot 'n High. Strictly from a pilot's point of view, the best model S76. Loads of power and an excellent fuel control system with a simple manual override if the duplex computers fail. FADECs on the 'C' have maybe gone too far.

We operate a corporate 'B' that weighs in at 8546 lbs on the ramp with aft-facing club seats and credenza. That's without the noise cocoon. As with everything in life, there's always a price to pay. In this case, always PLAN to use 800 lbs/hour.

C of G has been a problem in all 76's but the 'B' was helped by placing the battery(s) in the nose. The range can be improved by fitting the extra tank in the boot, but just try positioning single pilot with all tanks full !!

Hi to John Eacott (It's Urs without the T). XUX is still spending 11 months / year in the hangar. An excellent ship. Used to get fuel flows down to 520 lbs/hour at 8,000 ft.

I thought about asking to take it to Sumatra where it could be put to much better use. However, COALIN says the boys with the Stars and Stripes can hack it (see the Tsunami thread) so best leave it at Bankstown.

By the way, I used to be an S76 devotee until I flew the Agusta 139 last year.