PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2004, 07:49
peter manktelow

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Brian....long time no talk. I did see your post some months back. Unfortunately events here intervened and I never did respond. My apologies

This is starting to wander off the original thread from what "RoamingCyclic" first posted but interesting nonetheless.

I have just started my second year here in this part of China in a check and training capacity. Last year we concentrated heavily on honing manipulative skills with regard to handling the 76 during the many OEI scenarios that we can simulate. This year we will not drop OEI work but I want to focus on TRF (the Brit's acronym for tail rotor failures) and CFIT...which brings me to Nick's comments........I am formulating a mini ground school on CFIT-Helicopters or rather CFI/TOW as I will call it (TOW=Terrain , Obstacles and Water) I think what Nick is alluding to , is a heavy weighting of statistics which may point to our flying perfectly serviceable machines into solid objects in a similiar manner to our airline cousins. I know I am building up a decent number of examples to use as case material.

I have not lost a stove on the 76 but had my ideas of OEI sharpened many years ago with an engine failure on rotation in a 212 offshore Bombay. Very interesting experience , so I share your views about continuing to worry about engines quitting....and will continue to worry...and train. After all , the CFIT training is and can only really be a class room exercise.

Best regards.........Peter