View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2001, 20:16
offshoreigor

It's not just an adventure....
it's just a job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Great replies!

Before we digress into an unrelated topic I should mention now that I left out the troubleshooting portion because I was trying to get a feel for what other operators do in their procedures.

I think I should add a little background. WRT the mixing unit in the 76 as it pertains to Collective to Yaw coupling, we all know that in a dead foot or jammed pedal situation, if you were to apply full Right pedal input, the collective would rise, conversly if you were to apply full left pedal, the collective would drop, (maybe).

This known reaction can be applied in the troubleshooting phase as pertains to determining whether you have a jam or a control cable failure. Remember, there are no 76's left without a self-centering device!

Now wrt the comment about manipulating the throttles, first I want to reiterate that we tried every combination of jam/cable/mixing unit failure and the results were the same, without exception.

In a well coordinated crew, the most important factor is to pre-brief the actions to be taken in handling an emergency. I wasn't suggesting that the PNF simply retard the throttles, but that the PF call for "reduce throttles gently Now" followed by "STOP" as the situation demands.

The 76 Crew that went off the runway actually helped in the post accident analysis that developed this procedure.

Keep the posts coming, it's always great to read your ideas and thoughts.

Cheers OffshoreIgor