PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2004, 11:31
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The emphasis I place on CFIT (and the other things that get us) is illustrated by your comment, Peter.

We do need to keep sharp on OEI procedures, but the reason why we ask all the pprune questions, and make demands for even more data and procedures for OEI is because it is something we can do something about.

Remember the joke about the guy who is wandering under a streetlamp, looking for his lost keys? The stranger comes by to help him, and asks exactly where he dropped them, and the guy tells him, "About 20 yards over there, but there's no light over there, so I'm looking over here!"

OEI TRF - We practice what we practice, and study what we do because that's what we do. Not because that's the only thing we need to do, or even because it is the most important. The stats on our accidents should be how we determine what to fix next. This does not mean we stop doing what we do now (because it works! Thanks Brian and Peter for reminding us!)

As long as we think CFIT (the cause of about 30 to 40% of our accidents) is not a subject for flight training, but rather a nice chalk talk concept, we are doomed to continue to lose aircraft to it.

I wish there were as many threads discussing CFIT concepts as there have been discussing (yet again!!) OEI procedures!

Peter and Brian, do you have the latest stats to help decide on what to focus on? If you did, TFR would not be No. 2!!