PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2003, 10:38
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Deja Vu all over again

To: Nigel Osborn

So I guess the moral is that no matter how well you know your a/c and RFM, an unusual problem can still occur that the makers have not forecast. Unfortunately I have been on the receiving end of several. One of the joys of flying a new type of helicopter!
Nigel let me make a slight change to your statement above.

So I guess the moral is that no matter how well you DESIGN your a/c and RFM, an unusual problem can still occur that the makers have not forecast. Unfortunately I have been on the receiving end of several. One of the joys of flying a new type of helicopter!

As I had stated to Nick in my post above no matter how much care is taken in the design of an aircraft and no matter the level of quality control things will go wrong.

What strikes me is that problem had not been detected earlier. It should have been detected during the functional test of the servo unit at the manufacturer. It should have been detected at Sikorsky during receiving inspection. It should have been detected when the helicopter underwent flight-testing. You were able to repeat the problem three times yet it was never detected by anyone previous to the time it happened to you. If parts were left out of the servo the problem should have manifested itself at the factory and the servo should have been rejected and sent in for remanufacture.

I'll bet that the servo manufacturer had a bunch of flags outside the entrance of his plant attesting to the fact that they were ISO approved