PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2001, 17:15
Harry Peacock

Location: Little colonial airfield in the land of prawns, beer & roos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concur Nick and Helmets comments on the fidelity of simulators V aircraft and the some times very poor first simulations of some types. In my limited experience caused by commercial pressures of one manufacturer not wanting to give accurate flight data to another. I know of test pilots going straight from the aircraft to the sim to 'fine tune' the sim responses.
BUT having used them for years and instructed in them for too many they do have a very valid use particularly with regards to the big mind bu$$£*!^$ faults such as Tail rotor snags. If you don't try it in the sim and experience 'best guess' symptoms your first try will be when it happens for real

Helmet.. Having spoken to pilots, read reports on tail rotor failures and experienced loss of t/r effectiveness in a Gazelle (Fenestron stall......Oh hush my mouth!!) the rates of yaw experienced (150deg/sec+) would not be duplicated by any serviceable sim. More to the point would not be properly processed by the human vestibular apparatus except as a drastic disorientation where the visual apparatus would be required to try to make sense of the world.

And another comment.... To my understanding the drooping of rotor speed is going to have very little effect on tail rotor thrust if stuck BUT (Again) reducing main rotor speed will reduce total rotor thrust! to maintain the flight path the collective will need to be raised to maintain lift. If collective is increased rotor drag increases and requires more torque to maintain the same flight path thus 'using up' some of the excessive tail rotor thrust.

Right that's it for the mo. Time to give some poor stude a beasting in the Sim!!
(Most of my victims have actually appreciated a couple of hours playing with different Tail Rotor faults.....or so they said at the time!!)