PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2001, 07:54
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

The RAAF had a pretty good way of dealing with stuck pedals that was developed for the Iroquois and adapted for the Squirrel when we got them. The Squirrels had been modded with a twist-grip throttle (not all that satisfactory in some ways) so the technique was easily transferable.

Your point about the possibility of stuffing things up when engine controls are manipulated is a good one, Shy Torque, but with the luxury of practice most people found they could cope with pedals stuck in a wide range of positions.

The basic concept was a 60 kt skid ball analysis for a heads-up, followed by a long, low finals decelerating in 10 kt increments until the aircraft nose was pointing a certain limiting number of degrees off the direction of travel.
Then, depending on which way the yaw was, you would (for an American helicopter):

a) For too much left pedal, keep going to a rotating hover, then reduce Nr in small increments which would initially speed up the rotation, but then slow it down as the tail rotor slowed until you could land, or

b) For too much right pedal, slow down until the nose got to be 20 degrees (I think it was) off the direction of travel, then maintain that speed until you were over your big flat grassy landing area, then quickly chop the throttle and run on to an autorotative landing.
With a bit of forethought, you could also steer a bit with judicious (!) amounts of throttle as you ran along, although this was a bit of a mind-blower for some.

Widens your options a bit, I guess, although to coordinate 2 pilots to do it to cope with lever-type throttles would be pretty tricky, I'd imagine.