PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2003, 19:36
212man

Received 351 Likes on 197 Posts
Straightman,
the figures you quote approximate to a 2 degree approach angle; is this REALLY what you want? Sounds awfully like 'dragging it in slow and shallow'. If you keep the speed up you get a quick stop at the end, which is a bad thing, or (as you imply) you slow down early, you end up hover taxying at the end, which is a bad thing.

Surely, the idea is to establish a stable approach ,from a defined gate, which will resemble as closely as possible the day time approach angle. The same go-round/reach the deck considerations apply.

I think 30 kts at 1 nm is recipe for losing the airspeed and will make maintaining it accurately a difficult task. A continuous deceleration from a sensible speed must be a better option.

As I said earlier, I agree the 76 is not the easiest a/c at night offshore, especially with lack of practice, But being slow, low and distant will not help things.

Another CFIT to add to the earlier list would be the 1987 BIH Fulmar (N. Sea) accident during a night shuttle (never really resolved but possible incapacitation. Interesting CRM points too: two captains plus no two crew SOPs established by company). PNF pulled the aircarft out of the water, reaching 78% Nr in the process!