PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch: the disgrace continues
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2001, 12:01
ftrplt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lackov,

the word 'hoping' was a bit tongue in cheek. The speed difference is not irrelevent, we only need to clear a small arc in front of our flight path to avoid a confliction, we have radar, eyes and altitude on our side. (Most lighties not spending a lot of time at 500ft AGL, croppies excluded). You on the other hand can get hit from anywhere within 360 degrees. All I was trying to say is that we are in the best position to see and avoid you. I have taken separation from lighties at low level on many occasions and I am sure they didnt even know I was there. With us at 500ft, getting visual on a lighty above the horizon is a lot easier for us than for you getting sight of a camouflaged jet below the horizon.

You seem to be saying that visual separation is not a valid technique, so does that mean that any VFR OCTA is a midair waiting to happen??

As an aside, the F18 is currently getting fitted with a transponder interrogator, so make sure you are squawking appropriately, even OCTA; they will see you a lot easier with it on.