PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Pilot: Which course of action?
Old 20th Sep 2005, 23:46
airwolfuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all I am not a pilot (yet) and therefore this is only my personal opinion. I am currently studying a law degree and taking a Cert. Ed so you can decide whether to listen to my opinion or not.

However, having a degree makes a person a more attractive candidate. A degree shows commitment to study and an ability to achieve.

Flying is more than just pointing a stick or pressing a button and one needs a cool head and the ability to think on the spot.

With competition as tight as it is I would suspect that a degree would put someone ahead of a competing candidate who didn't have a degree.

A degree in Airline management or Operations also shows that you have learned about the "behind the scenes" of an airline. You are not engrossed with the glamorous images of jetsetting and you have a genuine understanding of the operation of an airline.

You have a better understanding of the issues affecting your customers.

I would do the degree route mainly because I wouldn't be able to afford the more expensive route.

Also, you are only going to have a frozen ATPL which means you are still going to need to be sponsored to get your hours and type ratings. Who are the airlines going to sponsor? Someone with a degree maybe??? Degrees show committment and ability to study.

Degrees make people more employable as well (check the Guardian for more information on the research that was undertaken about grads vs non-grads.)

I am off to Helicopter Adventures to do an ab-initio frozen ATPL with FI when I graduate as I feel that this is the cheapest and quickest option for me. I will have a degree and I understand law graduates are desirable candidates in the aviation industry.

Good luck.

Forgot to add that I am also getting old at 23 I am now too old for a flying career in the armed forces (will be 26 when I graduate.) Jesus that scares the crap out of me!!!!!

Gotta get in the air quick........grey hair forcing it\'s way through.............hunch developing.........bladder weakening

PS just noticed that if you already have a frozen ATPL then londonmet will award you the degree if you top-up and just complete the first part of the programme which is one semester (3 months) so if you can afford to do the course privately then do it that way as you will get the degree anyway! Shorter time and same academic qualification!!!