PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Staff Shortage set to bite
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 23:06
tennis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a few who have burnt bridges at home as well as abroad and believe it or not ASA are aware of them.

I'm not sure what it is exactly that drives ASA the way it does. It's an incredibly negative environment that serves no industry at all. Controllers nowadays are paid poorly in relative terms to 20 years ago against the average wage earner of today and the responsibility factor has increased significantly. They will only realise their mistakes when they come to retire. Get an accountant to do the numbers on how much in super just one percent will cost them in 20 years. Something around $250000 plus just for starters.

What I think has happened is that the controllers have become less forceful and the union just aren't up to the task. There needs to be major reform. And the minority that keep the system running for management need to be re-calibrated! Like I said before, investigate what/whothey, we consider our poorer cousins earning the pacific peso to the south east, get in the way of pay and more importantly CONDITIONS and I bet you ASA controllers would drop their jaw and lose a filling or two. If that didn't invoke an emotion then maybe ASA controllers are their own worst enemy in improving things. I wish them all the best in their efforts for this years negotiations and I hope they get what they want and hope they are after alot. And everytime the board says they won't or can't turn up to a round of negotiations, I would go to the Industrial Relations Commissioner and make them wield the big hammer. Show them they mean business - period! The ASA board aren't going to give anything away without a fight - so start fighting boys and girls!!!