PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First MATZ pen since Skills Test
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 13:59
TheBeeKeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face First MATZ pen since Skills Test

Hi folks..... is it just me, or do others get quietly complacent about R/T, content with pottering around the local airfield, happy with a familiar voice at the other end of the radio.

I took another more experienced PPL flying yesterday evening who wanted to do a little cross country trip. He planned it, I had to sit in the back seat for the tricky bits (Queen Bee, similar to Tiger Moth) and let him fly the rest of it!

We went Henlow, Rutland Water, Fenland, Henlow. Hmmmm..... Rutland Water, that'll be in Cottesmore/Wittering MATZ then! And I had the only PTT button in the back seat!

Luckily the controller was very patient with my weak radio strength (and skills I guess) and we had a very pleasant trip round a very beautiful part of the country. Thank you Mr Controller.

I must get out and explore more of the country and get more confident with the radio. Would anyone recommend the Oxford RT training packages???

My partner has a PPL too, and as sad as it may sound something that we have tried..... if you are going by road on a long journey, carry a half mil chart with you and do the radio calls along the route as if you were flying it! Makes for good practice...... or is that just mad?

TBK