PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliders flying in cloud
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 12:59
Nimbus265

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very True Flap5:

Prof Wrote:

1. At my club I am not allowed to fly if I am not current. This means (with a Basic Instructor rating) I must have flown within the previous 5 weeks. If not, I must take a flight with an instructor before I am allowed to fly as PIC.
My club's currency requirements is 30 days. After that it's 3 check flights with an half-cat or full cat instructor, and at least one of those flights must include a launch failure. [Edited to add:] Oh an there is the annual assessment; my annual instructor assessment and the cross-country and field landing checks at the start of the season!

Allthough I have a PPL, I have always wondered why the currency requirements appear to be so low for SEP?

I can understand the requirement in gliders (no options for go arounds!), but why so low for PPL? Given the relatively high and soaring cost in the UK for your average PPL pilot to fly, then is there a risk of pilots just maintaining the absolute minimum to maintain the licence and does that mean that there is an increasing tendency for skill fade/more inexperienced pilots flying round the sky?