PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solaris 10
Thread: Solaris 10
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 11:05
Spinflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stoney,

I havn't installed it yet, have to get a new HD in first.

I'll be runing the x86 version on a 1600 Athlon however I suspect this OS is going to be a big thing in my industry.

I used Solaris workstations at university for Java development but hardly scratched the surface of its server oriented capabilities. It seems there are problems due to the lack of drivers / support for cheap commodity hardware however porting drivers from other Unix systems to expand the user base is going to be a major part of the Open Solaris project.

Solaris, (Free)BSD, AIX, Linux etc all share the same roots and are all different flavours of Unix. The proprietary versions (AIX, HP etc) tend to be used serverside on big iron servers bought from the hardware vendor (IBM, HP) whereas BSD is mainly a hobbyist and academic flavour.

The different distros of Linux have been slowly gaining acceptance, though only Red Hat and Debian are really considered commercial products.

Solaris is slightly different in that all of the other flavours are optomised for either serverside (RH, AIX, HP) or hobbyist workstation use (Mandrake BSD etc). Solaris does both equally well and is reckoned to be the most stable and certainly the most secure.

I reckon security is going to be a big issue in the next few years, the
Witty Worm ealier this year destroyed every single machine that posessed the vulnerability it exploited on Win32 architecture. And this was a virus that targetted the software of Internet Security Systems Inc.