PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army Warrants
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 10:27
wishtobflying

Not enough $$$ ...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A WO1 is NOT a Cadet. While it is true U.S. Army WO1 pilot maybe straight out of Warrant Officer Candidate School and flight training with less than 2 years in the Army ... (etc)
I'll concede that point, if we're comparing training timelines with rank structure, and now you've explained the US angle, a fresh USA WO1 pilot would be like when we're promoted to 2nd Lt on being awarded our wings. As far as him being in training, perhaps I read that in his military.com posts, or his ARRSE posts - but he's said it somewhere.

Sticking with the training timelines idea, an Australian Army 2nd Lt with his/her wings is still useless operationally, and still has another six months minimum before being posted to a unit. It's considered to still be a training rank (for AAAvn), and even when posted we are still under a form of probation, only flying as copilots until considered experienced enough to take full command.

I find it extremely humorous to see a "wanna-be" (since you have not even started your military service yet) lecturing a serving WO on leadership. It reminds me of your story of the 2 WOs and the young Lieutenant. You are already on the road to being like that guy.
I would never be so stupid, after reading this thread, to interact with one of our WO1's the way I'd feel comfortable interacting with one of your WO1's (we have two WO ranks, and our WO1 is higher than our WO2). That is one reason why this thread has been so helpful.

Another reason is that it has taught me not to assume anything about a person's experience based on rank. Obvious maybe to those of you in the system, but to someone like me, it's something to tuck away in the "Remember This Later" box.

My comments on leadership are simply echoing what others have also said about this guy. I've recently studied your FM 22-100 in my own time, before I even knew I was going to get in, and I feel that New_WO1 may find it useful to re-read it. No lecture, just suggesting he may have forgotten some valuable ideas that are covered in it.