PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comed Aviation
Thread: Comed Aviation
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 10:22
tonyhalsall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned at Blackpool Air Centre in 1987 and paid Brian Bateson an up front fee to get the job done asap irrespective of hours taken. It suited me cos I had the cash and a four week window to do it in.

As an earlier poster said, many do not get on with Mr Bateson, but just remember that he has a big ego and is first and foremost a businessman - and he along with his father beforehand has been teaching people to fly on pre-1970 Cherokees for very many years and have done it profitably and without missing a day.

He's hard work but if you give as good as you take then you will have his respect, but you will also find out why he has so many people who hold a grudge against him. (I seem to recall that the last time COMED went out of business, they painted their name all over Brian's Vulcan bomber!)

I have fond memories of learning at Blackpool in an aircraft that was older than me and being verbally abused by Brian with a big grin on his face whilst yelling at me to, 'use the f*****g rudder, give it some welly' whilst trying to keep Rivington pike exactly on the nose and waggling the wings furiously - some sort of co-ordination excercise I recall!!

I would suggest you go to both schools at Barton and the one's at Blackpool and go with your gut instinct. I went to lots before choosing Blackpool Air Centre. I chose because of Brians personality and the 'school teacher' like and 'formal' approach of many of the other schools. Things do change and no doubt Brian has become even more grumpy and beligerent in the last 15 years, but mark my word - you will learn how to fly!!

Good luck

Tony