PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Management Speak / Talking Bolleaux
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 08:58
An Teallach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to confess, I took my last company but one through IIP. Was persuaded by 'special offer' from Scottish Enterprise - only £1375 to get tick in the box!

It involved 4 'consultations' with an expert followed by an exam (an interview with me then all the staff individually to see if I'd been lying!).

Our HR systems were approved (standard policies & procedures governed by employment law anyway).

Our appraisal system got a tick VG - EE writes own assessment based on strengths / weaknesses and needs for further trg etc., commented on by manager and director.

Our personnel development system got a tick VG - EE submits wish-list of courses, management team prioritise in terms of benefit to the company and we send them off as time / money allow.

We had changed absolutely nothing. However, we got our little plaque at a fancy dinner complete with Z list celeb where we were all congratulated on our hard work and committment to the principles of IIP. Not all was a waste of time, we had a good company p1ss-up and I made contact again with an old school mate whose hotel had 'won' the award.

Later found many IIP consultants were 'wives of' SE civil serpents (or 'permanently engaged consultants').

Cost of SE annually = £0.5 Bn
Amount raised in business rates in Scotland annually - £0.5Bn

3 guesses as to my preferred solution for encouraging economic growth in Scotland.

Oh well, better find out what the hell Sigma Six is Many thanks for contributions so far and keep them coming, chaps.

My successor as treasurer of a club was instructed at the AGM to remove the club's accts from HBOS after this piece of management motivational brilliance.