PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - D129 & Kamikaze Pilots
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 08:48
Nimbus265

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go Smoke,

I have some sympathy with you as I being an instructor at another gliding club that operates from within a Danger Area. Despite there being a DAAIS to support the area (and repeating tape annoncements when the DAAIS service is closed) and the area being notified as 24h in the AIP, we often get infrigments into the immediate circuit area, and our site lies significantly inside the Danger Area border.

The AIP states quite clearly that only the most likely dangers to be encountered are notified, (not all of them) and the DAAIS service provider may not be fully aware of the other activities.

The AIP also states that :

The purpose of the DAAIS is to enable pilots to obtain, via a Nominated Service Unit (NSU), an airborne update of the
activity status of a participating Danger Area whose position is relevant to the flight of the aircraft. Such an update will assist pilots in deciding whether it would be prudent, on flight safety grounds, to penetrate the area. It is strongly emphasized that information obtained from an NSU is only pertinent to the ACTIVITY STATUS of a Danger Area and is not a clearance to cross that Danger Area, whether or not it is active.

What I find difficlut to understand is that you either bust a Danger Area deliberately, and in which case you make a concious judgment to fly through this as part of you flight planning, or you bust it by making a mistake in navigation or through poor planing:

I can't conceive of too many occasions when I would make a concious decision to fly though a danger area without first establishing the level of danger present, and that would involve everything from establishing the By-Laws for the Danger Area, contacting the DAAIS or DACS, contacting the primary user of the Danger area etc... etc... etc..

I can't see too many people going through this hassel to try to ascertain the exact nature of the danger for a notified 24H, when it would be soo much easier to fly around it (Especially somewhere like D129)

Any 24H notified area, by definition is a danger 24/7- so why the NEED to fly though it?

This leaves me with the conclusion that these infringements occur as a result of either poor planning, or poor navigation, and the blame for this must lie firmly with the pilot.