PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army Warrants
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 06:31
HAL Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wishtobflying said:
New_WO1, you are a Cadet, pure and simple. Your rank is a training rank, you've said so yourself. To compare your rank with a grizzled veteran of many years service, well what can I say.

Knuckle down to your study, finish your training, and get on with the job. Be good at it - that's your main responsibility right now. Nobody even cares who you are until you're a useful member of a unit, so stop being so self-centred and focus on learning how to fly.
You could not be more wrong. You DO NOT have an understanding of the U.S. Warrant Officer system.

A WO1 is NOT a Cadet. While it is true U.S. Army WO1 pilot maybe straight out of Warrant Officer Candidate School and flight training with less than 2 years in the Army, there are also many of non-pilot WO1s who have years of service. I know a couple of Special Forces Army WO1s who would take great anger at being compared to a Cadet. Other Army WO specialities require a minimum length of service and a minimum enlisted rank from an applicant. I am not positive, but I think it is Sargent (E-5) and 5 yerars of service.

I did not see any posts from New_WO1 saying he was still in training. Army Warrant Officer candidates that are enlisted for the WOFT (Warrant Officer Flight Training) program do not receive their WO1 Warrents until completion of flight training and earning their wings. So New_WO1 has at least 4 months of basic training and 1 year of flight training as a "Cadet" prior to receiving his Warrant as a WO1. If he is a WO1 pilot, he is a winged aviator in an operational flying billet. Further, to have been in the U.K. and been in the position of asking about how he was treated, he has to have completed all training in his specific airframe - at least another 6 months of duty. So he probably has somewhere around 2 years of service. He IS NOT a Cadet. If fact, he probably already has been to or is very near going to Iraq or Afganistan since helo pilots are currently in big demand there.

In the USN and USMC, Warrent Officers start at WO2 and they ARE COMMISSIONED OFFICERS. To apply, they must be at least a E-7 (Chief Petty Officer or Gunnery Sargent) and that will have taken at least 10 years of service to achieve.

New_WO1, go back and read your leadership manual, it's FM 22-100, I've got a copy if you can't find yours. You'll find a whole bunch of great info in there that it seems you've missed.
I find it extremely humorous to see a "wanna-be" (since you have not even started your military service yet) lecturing a serving WO on leadership. It reminds me of your story of the 2 WOs and the young Lieutenant. You are already on the road to being like that guy.