PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Tanks Attacked in Basra
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 00:16
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just the mention of that incident in NI made my blood run cold. Every time I see the footage I wonder how and why every single one of the bastards whose faces can be seen were not imprisoned (or, and god help me for saying this) simply quietly taken out and beaten (or even slotted). And it makes me wonder how, with Pleasant Pumas, Finch Gazelles or Chancellor Lynxes (one was definitely up and watching) they didn't get evidence to prosecute those who finally executed the Squaddies, after they'd been beaten and 'interrogated'.

I was shocked to see the Warrior apparently unable to escape, and profoundly worried that the crew couldn't simply sit it out, or spray the surrounding crowd with some well aimed fire 'over their heads'. The sight of one lad leaping down in a hail of rocks was appalling, and the stills of chaps bailing out actually on fire was even worse. Thank God that the reports indicate that all got away with it with only minor injuries.

We went to war for the wrong reasons (but now we're there, running away isn't an option) and nothing ever excuses beating up prisoners in custody, but when the ROE prevent soldiers 'in contact' from protecting themselves, and when the British Army and local Police are on opposite sides, something is very badly wrong.