PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can't swim - Can't fly
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2005, 09:17
rottweiler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strikes me that some polite encouragement might be in order
I imagine it wouldn't be all that hard to learn to swim effectively - it seems a bit defeatist to say 'I can't swim' and leave it at that
FWIW, I had all the cheap/expensive/ high-quality training the Air Force could muster, including one-one lessons from a world-class athlete during OCTU. Didn't produce the goods, I'm afraid - silk purses/sows ears spring to mind. However, it didn't stop me from becoming a Combat Survival and Rescue training officer either, able to conduct drills in the pool and open water. If you have the right kit, training and attitude, you don't need to be a swimmer to be able to manage (and lead) post-crash skills.

As for 2-yearly HUET - I have a sneaking suspicion they're there to justify the existence of the dunker and attendant PEd staff or their equivalent. Like I said before - every moment of every drill is clear in my memory (this is close to my own personal Room 101, remember). The day we make bang-seat riders eject every 2 years "so they remember what to do" is the day we justify 6-dunks-with-STASS. IMHO, obviously...