PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Secondary Duties???????
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2005, 09:09
JessTheDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a 1st and 2nd RO, I found that the F6000 gave far too much weight to secondary duties compared with the OJAR system. The F7500 had the box 11 which asked for details on extra curricular activities and this no longer exists on the OJAR - the F6000 system should also be replaced.

I encountered a lot of resentment towards the chain of command from the SNCOs at my last unit, because there was a bias towards secondary duties. The only way to get promoted was to get a spec rec, the only way to get a spec rec was to undertake numerous secondary duties, the SNCOs on det had limited scope to get these and felt (correctly) that they were unfairly penalised.

One further thought is that the cuts in numbers will mean that it will be harder to maintain secondary duties, particularly with the OOA focus (although that is unlikely to survive the Iraq debacle when it finally goes t!ts up) and the culture of extensive secondary duties may fall by the wayside. These duties are of benefit to the unit and individual but overemphasising them causes resentment and bad feeling that is perhaps disproportionate to the benefits gained.