View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2005, 22:21
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Question

Keef,

"Those who wish to impose restrictions on glider pilots are, in my view, missing the point."

I've just re-read the entire thread from start to finish. Could you please point out where "restrictions" are mentioned? I couldn't find them.

[Edit: Keef, I've read your post again; you stated:
"Commercial aircraft really shouldn't be there at all - they have all that dedicated controlled airspace that we need permission to enter. That risk should be zero."

Sorry to say, that comment shows you do not understand the UK aviation regulations or how GA works. GA cannot use dedicated controlled airspace if it doesn't exist at the departure point and the destination, or in between. Would you like to have more regulated airspace that you would need permission to enter? I think not].

ProfChrisReed,

"If I call an agency, I'm looking for no service from them - I'm merely giving them information (glider entering cloud, position and height) so that they can improve their service to other aircraft."

Do you seriously NOT consider that using ATC to help avoid a mid air collision with YOUR aircraft an improvement in the service to yourself?

If not, and if this reflects the general view of UK glider pilots (I can't believe it does), it is probably a complete waste of time trying to put across any alternative viewpoint over what some of us consider a serious flight safety issue.

"If anyone can suggest an effective way to alert other GA traffic to my cloud flying I'd be delighted to use it."

Certainly. Buy a transponder with mode C. Then GA with TCAS can avoid you. We've been there before, no joy.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 18th Sep 2005 at 23:13.