PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliders flying in cloud
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2005, 19:00
Nimbus265

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really baffled by the attitude of some people: It's no good shouting you need to contact ATC...blah blah blah.... on which frequency do you suggest? There is a dedicated cloud flying frequency... 130.4.. If people are so worried by the relatively low risk, then why don't YOU switch to 130.4 and ask if there is anyone at a location flying in cloud or just listen - you'll soon hear.

As I said in my earlier posts, those of us who do fly in clouds follow a set protocol, regardless of how infrequent we do it: Call on the enroute freq before entering; change to 130.4; State call sign, location(!), height (QNH) and entering cloud.... Then height info (QNH) every 500', announcing clear of cloud at (whatever) height then change to enroute!

I did a quick 150 km route yesterday, and the conditions were actually right for a 1500' cloud climb, in a single solitary isolated cu. Within a 25 nautical mile radius of the point I entered cloud I had the following possible ATC stations:

Middle Wallop
Thruxton
Boscombe Down (shut at weekends)
Popham
Farnborough
Lasham
Benson
Booker
White Waltham
Blackbush
Sandhill Farm
Abingdon
Upavon
Salisbury DAIS
Rivar Hill
oh and London Information

Apart from being able to identify where I actually was at the time by this list; what ATC would anyone like to suggest that I notify?

I also had some class A above me at FL65 (but didn't go anywhere near this high (obviously)

While I was on 130.4 yesterday I heard at least 1 power pilot blind call 130.4, and state that he was enroute from somewhere to somewhere else stating he would be going IMC at Oxford at approx 4800 on the Cotswold QNH and ask if there was anyone in the vicinity climbing in cloud?.

I must admit that it's the first time I've heard it, but I don't tend to spend too long in cloud anyway!!

For me it was however a revelation.... there is a frequency to check if anyone is climbing in cloud...130.4