PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army Warrants
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2005, 15:55
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,825 Likes on 820 Posts
No argument, just taking it back to basics and repeating your own question from the last page, namely, Give me a reference, an official web page or something that says this. Goose for the gander and all that. One presumes one can find an official source?

If not, I repeat that saluting members of the armed forces of other nations is a curtesy or as laid down in an official agreement. If one exists, please cite it.

As an aside, would you expect a US naval rating to salute a UK coastguard officer? If not, why not, if so why? Would you expect a UK naval rating to salute a US coastguard officer, If not, why not, if so why?

As an a side:

"It is a widely-believed myth that in the United States military all personnel are required to initiate a salute to a Medal of Honor recipient, regardless of rank. Nothing in United States military regulations relates specifically to the Medal of Honor except for its order of precedence on the uniform. Custom, however, does dictate that a general should salute a private if the private has the Medal of Honor. In the United Kingdom, a similar fiction attaches to holders of the Victoria Cross."

I would salute, either, as a mark of respect, not as an obligation.....

Last edited by ORAC; 18th Sep 2005 at 20:22.