PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Helicopters fly inverted? (Merged threads)
Old 18th Sep 2005, 10:17
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inverted flying

Re the 'Inverted Flying' thread.

As a display pilot, can I put in a few pennorth, but only dealing with the smaller machines I fly. (PS Wish someone would offer me a go in a Lynx/Chinook)

Even the humble Schweizer 300 model will invert for a few seconds. (Just pop into my Shoreham office for a peek at the photos if your'e a non believer) and ditto the the Enstrom 280/480, MD 500/Gazelle et al.

What use is any of it.?

I've asked myself that question too many times, and have been somewhat accusingly asked it by some highly experienced guys. I only see it as a problem, if you feel it brings a swashbuckling attitude to our industry, something I constantly endeavour to avoid. But on the positive side, it DOES BRING HELI SALES, as I recall, oh so well in the early 1970's when the world was knocking the newcomer Enstrom.

I copied the great American display pilot, Mike Meger and managed to produce a display routine good enough for Farnborough, and all I can say is it put the marque on the map and subsequently I sold 138 Enstrom 28/280 Sharks in a ten year period.

At my end of the industry we need to constantly bring in the punters if we are to thrive, even survive ! And display flying does that. I've lost count of how many times, I've been approached at air shows with a worthwhile enquiry.

Of course, the articulated M/R head can't accept a smell of negative G, and to make sure of that, I leave my pace notes on the co pilots seat, and the second headset on its hook. If they move, I wake up!.

The carrier ops machines need the negative pitch to keep the skids/wheels in deck contact on a heaving ship of course, and as has been said here, the models don't seem to care which way up they are. Just a week ago, at a Draycott Farm venue, I watched Paul Heckles display his aerobatic skills at night !!!! Illuminated M/R blades and horizontal bar through the airframe. An awesome show when he spent as much time inverted as with the M/R disc the right way up.

In the 1986 World Championships at Cranfield, the German factory pilot, Charlie Zimmerman, (where are you now Charlie?) flew the B105. During his display routine, Charlie inverted the ship, entered a descending flat spin, before cycling out to level flight! Not surprising he was awarded the first place. Another German, Herman Fuchs, repeated the manoeuvre and got second.

I'm not sure I should invite any of you to 'try this at home,' but all that is needed to be inverted in the loop, is the right 'gate speed' for type, then assist the normal high speed flap back in the climb with aft cyclic, look over the shoulder for a horizontal horizon and with a quick glance at the instruments for a minimum height and manoeuvre speed on the dials, and if satis, progressively lower collective to its lowest position as the cyclic is pulled through aft. On non-correlated pistons, the Rrpm needs to be monitored as the extra G comes on in the descent and pull out.

In the USA, I've seen. the MD pilots use the manoeuvre many times for air show and publicity purposes, but again would widen my ears to any of you who had views in the oppposite camp on such flying.

As I retire from display work after 1200 practice routines and public shows, I'd dearly like to see some youngsters come along and progress things. I know for sure, there are so many more show manoeuvres to be discovered than I have produced over the years. Subject always to the maker's Flight Manual limitations. But guys, a CAA approved DA, (display authority) is mandatory.

I have always maintained an 'open' view on all this and perhaps a few comments from out there would be more than interesting.

Dennis Kenyon.