PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliders flying in cloud
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2005, 21:39
ProfChrisReed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm (cautiously) practising cloud flying in my glider.

ShyTorque suggests that I call an ATC frequency, and I'd be happy to do so - but which one? And how often?

So far as I know, all the glider collisions in cloud have been with other gliders, and they appear to have been in competitions prior to the mid-late 1970s when cloud flying seems to have been much more popular - this is (I think) because the lower-performing wooden gliders benefitted much more from cloud climbs than modern glass machines.

My biggest risk (and the biggest risk I create) seems to be from/to other gliders, so I need to monitor and call on 130.4, which is the BGA-allocated cloud flying frequency.

I could call ATC when about to enter cloud, but as I'll only be cloud climbing in class G airspace I'd like to know who to call. Near my home club the obvious candidate would be Lakenheath, but would this lead to powered a/c being alerted if in the area?

In other words, if you're flying IMC in class G airspace, who would be advising you about my activities?

[And, BTW, I don't think any (sane) glider pilot flies in CBs these days. Since we found out about wave, seriously high (say 10,000 ft plus) flying is done that way).