PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changes to MoD helicopter low level training rules
Old 17th Sep 2005, 21:37
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will not deny that low level is fun. It is probably the most exciting flying that a pilot can do and can often be quite demanding, not least in ensuring that the low flying is conducted legally, in accordance with the auth, bookings, regulations, avoids, etc. It may be fun to do but that is not why we do it.

Low flying, like it or not, is an operational necessity and therefore a necessary part of peacetime training. This amendment to the rules is quite simply a pointless exercise to placate the antis, which include the Lincs Coroner, elements of the media etc. It will have little beneficial effect for the complainants (a Chinny is just as loud at 100ft as 50, but spreads the noise over a larger area for a longer time).

I truly believe that this was an occassion where the Govt should have stuck up for the Armed Forces, but predictably it has not. It is plain to see how much the Government and Nation has depended on the RAF, FAA and AAC over the last few years (believe me, the Boscastle rescues were not flown from medium level) and unfortunately equally clear where we lie on the list of priorities ie well below recreational passtimes.

Increased commitment, reduced funding in real terms, reduced numbers of personnel, aircraft, regiments and now reduced training.

God forbid an accident of the Sea Knight on night 1 of Telic sort or like the US Chinook shootdowns in the Stan recently and Iraq 2 yrs ago, but if it happens, I'm sure the Govt and all the antis will be wringing their hands with grief and sympathy. Too little too late. Maybe if their sons were squaddies down the back of Support Helos they'd think differently.

Happy Flying/Riding,

Stout