PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changes to MoD helicopter low level training rules
Old 17th Sep 2005, 12:51
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southside,

your previous posts suggest that you're in the FAA. If you try to remember back to your time at Shawbury, you may recall that it was not all cowboy wazzing 'without a care in the world' - it was actually very strictly controlled and was quite a discipline. I guess being a fish-head type you haven't done much overland helicopter flying around such places as southern Iraq. If you did you would know very well why it is essential to maintain low flying skills.

I suspect that for reasons unknown, you are trolling and I really can't be arsed to type out the pro-LL argument once again, when it has already been flogged to death on Prune. Do a search here for Heather Bell and READ what has been written before.

A helicopter's natural environment is as close to ground level as possible without hitting anything. That's why 50ft is the usual safe figure. Horses will still be upset by Chinooks etc at 500ft.

Where do you draw the line?

Why should we degrade our operational capability to protect riders when many (such as Heather Bell) are not prepared protect themselves by wearing helmet or take personal responsibility for accepting the risks of the dangerous sport in which they choose to participate?