PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737/ B727 AFM limitation on thrust increase with engine failure.
Old 17th Sep 2005, 12:40
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
B737/ B727 AFM limitation on thrust increase with engine failure.

My understanding is that if an engine failure occurs after V1 while conducting a reduced thrust (assumed temperature method) takeoff, the pilot may increase thrust on the live engine at his discretion. The B737 FCTM states If conditions are encountered during take off where additional thrust is desired, such as windshear or temperature inversion, the crew should not hesitate to manually advance the thrust levers to maximum rated thrust.

I do not have a 737 AFM at hand, but I understand that many years ago, the AFM specifically prohibited use of increased thrust if encountering an engine failure on take off while conducting an assumed temperature reduced thrust take off. My recollection was that there was an incident to a Boeing 707 where the pilot increased thrust on the three remaining engines after an outboard engine failed during a reduced thrust take off and the resulting additional yaw nearly caused loss of control.

Does the AFM for B737 Classics and NG still have this FAA imposed limitation?