PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can't swim - Can't fly
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2005, 12:32
Recuperator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you going to try and rescue him first?

Knowing he can't swim, are you going to try and rescue him first as it seems you expect him to rescue you??

You cant expect someone else, who is in the same dire situation as you to try and rescue you first, while he is trying to survive himself. Not everybody are good, strong swimmers. And what about the 10 guys in the back that can or can’t swim? Are you going to save them all?

Do you think it is expected of you? I don't think so...

HUET recurrency was discussed on another tread, where 2 passengers out of 5 in a ditched Lynx survived. One was the captain who went down to go and rescue others. He subsequently got trapped and drowned himself.

My question:

Was he really trapped or was he grabbed by panicking passengers or crew and drowned in the process? A drowning person overcome by panic is an extremely dangerous person and many lifesavers will tell you about the perils of trying to save someone else. That’s the reason for creating special rescue techniques where pacifying a panicking victim is all part of the rescue effort.

As I see it, your life is your own responsibility and you should develop your own skills to better your chances of survival.