PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europe's worst airport?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2005, 12:03
bealine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, we hope not, but the way it's shaping up, possibly we'll see the last BA flight the day T5 opens its doors. Will they keep a long-haul op going at LGW? Will a lack of LHR slots mean that they still have to keep a significant LGW presence? We built you a nice new pier with a terrific bridge to it! It'd be nice to see you get some use out of it.
The Odd One

It's all rumour and conjecture, of course, but Willie Walsh's refusal to answer questions directly adds credibility to the rumours:

1. We have been given until 2007 to save a further £13.5m. Given that we are unable to give adequate customer service with the cuts we've had (and last night's Venice is a shining example of how badly we managed) If the figure
have been £1.3m, I might have felt challenged, but £13.5m, I fear,. is an impossible target!

(Also, with the EU legislation, last night's Venice cost a small fortune and the Jersey services, with continual bad weather problems in the winter, will never make money as long as they exist and the EU regs push the route further into the red!!!)

2. The leases on our 737 fleet expire in 2007. Our Flying Officers will tell you the machines are pretty well clapped-out and the possibility of extending leases by a few years would probably be uneconomic. Given that replacement aircraft need to be ordered at least 2 years in advance, and the only machines BA has on order are two A321's for Heathrow, we're dead in the water I think!

3. Rod Eddington was trying to get our Cabin Crew to enter into new working practices whereby they would be "mixed fleet" - ie able to fly long-haul or short-haul as the need arises. If this goes ahead (and negotiations are well under way), BA would have very cheap long-haul crew!

The long-haul routes will stay at LGW, as long as the Open Skies Agreement remains a dream! If Open Skies becomes reality, the US flights will be at Heathrow like a shot (along with Continental, US Airways, American NorthWest and Delta who have always stated openly they would rather be at the airport with Golden Runways!!!)

It is my firm belief that, come 2007, Willie Walsh will say "Thanks, Gatwick, for all your efforts! Unfortunately, however........."