PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Pilot: Which course of action?
Old 17th Sep 2005, 07:02
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not quite sure what Thunder Child is on about. I imagine he was trying to be funny - if not exactly helpful.

Let's nail a few myths first. While one or two airlines express a preference for students from integrated courses, there are plenty of modular graduates getting jobs. One of the largest training providers is modular only (CTC), and I don't hear anyone suggesting their training isn't up to scratch! The preference for integrated (where it exists) is based on an outdated understanding of the process of getting an ATPL. You'll hear such people talking about 'CAP509' students and 'self-improvers'. Neither exist any more, but we can't get that through some people's thick heads. Ah well.

Secondly, this is not a difficult time to get a job! I reckon recruiting now is as good as it's ever been, with the sole exception of the manic period between 1999-2001. The fact that many more people want to be pilots than there are jobs for them is a problem - but not as much as it usually is!

As for which route is best, I'm afraid I can't help you. You have to make that decision for yourself. I've heard reasonably favourable reports of the LMU course, but I would remind you that you don't need a degree to become a pilot - and it will take you rather longer to do this course than the FTE (or OAT, Cabair or CTC) course. If you consider age to be an issue, then why take the longer course?

Scroggs