View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2005, 01:42
BackSeatPF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Filthy Cockpits

You should see our ambulances. At shift change at our city-centre station it's
1) pick a germ lab that's been out all the previous shift,
2) get your first call at three minutes after sign-on time,
3) try to grab any chance you get to slosh some water and disinfectant over it (giving the germs a nice warm soapy bath).
4) get the next call - etc etc ad nauseam.
I imagine it has lots to do with 24/7 usage, rarely having a regular assigned crew per van, and snatching meals between calls etc.

Odd thing is we all keep going back for more ... duty? desperation? masochism? a weirdly magnetic love/hate relationship with our respective sources of income? ... who knows?
Keep up the good work, guys and girls. Every time we fly we owe our lives to your hard work, determined professionalism and consistently high standards. I usually face each flight with a heady mix of and - the applies to those in the management/finance/hr offices, not the "front office". The
applies to seeing the upper side of the clouds at sunset, circling Zakynthos for half an hour, whisper quiet at 4am with a full moon silvering the sea below, being the only one sober enough to watch the eye-aching gold of a June sunrise over Elba from a 757, surviving a pax flight on an IL18. Sorry if this is naive, romantic to any tired professionals among you. I love that side of flight, hate the politics and what its doing to you.