PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliders flying in cloud
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2005, 22:02
Red Chilli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin, Shortstripper - absolutely no intention to offend, it was simply news to me (and I'm sure it would be to a lot of power folks) that whilst flying along in IMC I might meet a glider. I am not saying I have any more 'right' to be there than your goodselves, just a bit shocked that having just spent thousands of pounds, sat an exam and flight test and then following the procedures to the best of my ability, I could still encounter an aircraft that would not be flying a quadrantal level or even talking to anyone Doesn't make any sense to me and I was just suggesting a simple way of helping the situation.

An enlightening thread - I'm in agreement with englishal, ST etc. I do appreciate your problems re: kit, number of aircraft etc. but feel we must work together for the safety of all concerned. So how can we crack it? To avoid a myriad of transmissions could the gliding club simply inform ATC re: activity and likely cloud climbs? This info could then be relayed via the FIS/RIS etc.

As an aside, last year my climbing buddy and I had finished a session in the High Sierras with a number of days to spare. 'Let's try gliding' says I, so Ron and I went to Truckee Soaring and had a thoroughly good time, quite an art I thought, finishing with a hammerhead for good measure