PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliders flying in cloud
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2005, 17:40
Final 3 Greens

Shortstripper
I often wonder with these sort of "dangerous gliders" threads, just what some on here would really like? It almost seems a case of "If we can't do it, why should they?" .... "best try to make enough noise to bring them into line eh?"
With the very greatest of respect, I think that this is one of the most asinine comments I have read for some time.

What we have on this thread is, IMHO, a constructive discussion between some glider pilots (some or all of whom also fly power) and two commercial pilots who are expressing their reasonable concerns about the practice of cloud climbing.

Let's repeat it, THEY CAN LEGALLY CLOUD CLIMB, no one is saying that they shouldn't. Personally, I have never fancied flying in IMC and do not envy glider pilots their privilege.

Like flying a light single at night, cloud climbing causes a potential risk and pilots like ShyTorque, whose opinions I respect, are sharing the reasons why they are concerned.

ShyTorque says "This is a flight safety issue equally affecting all of us. It would be better if we all worked together in such cases, not adopt an unhelpful "us and them" attitude"

What could be more reasonable and less like your assertion?

With regard to the perception of risk, I also used to own three pistols and shoot in competitions, until my mindset was altered by Hungerford and I withdrew from the sport. After Dunblane, the government altered the law and a formerly respectable sport suffered from the severe restriction of gun ownership.

Yet the risk of being killed by a licensed gun was still statistically very low. Very often it is the perception of government and/or society that drives the qualitative analysis of risk and leads to conclusions that some feel are fair and others feel are unfair.

If a cloud climbing glider collided with a 737, per one of ShyTorque's scenarios, then I bet the law would change overnight, hopefully that thesis willnever be tested.

For your information, I am an ex glider pilot, as well as a PPL.

Nimbus

I do understand what you are saying and glider pilots are definitely better at using the footrests, err whoops, I mean rudder pedals

Last edited by Final 3 Greens; 16th Sep 2005 at 17:56.