PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 Questions...
Thread: 2 Questions...
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2002, 05:31
Weight and Balance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll leave the tactics discussions to the pros.. .. .About "settling with power", it was always described to me as flying the backside of the power curve, in conditions where max available power won't hold you in a hover or check your rate of descent. More pull on the collective just bleeds off Nr, and down you go. This is a very different situation than ring vortex.. .. .The 2 common ways to get into settling with power (this is theoretical, not personal experience Thank God) are trying to land at too high a density altitude, or an OEI landing at too high a weight. The only way out, altitude permitting, is to drop the nose, accelerate to speed for minimum power (also known as best rate of climb speed), and start looking for a place to run on.. .. .Just one comment on tactics, from an engineer's point of view. If the assigned task was to kill this one guy somewhere downtown, saturation bombing from 50,000 ft would have been much easier on aircraft and aircrews. Political considerations are outside of my area of speciality.