PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheap flying in the South East
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2005, 13:53
tonyhalsall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have not already discovered it, you soon will..............

Flying is all about compromise and getting just exactly what you want might be prohibitively expensive.

Take a nice round figure of 100 hours a year.

You could say that you want and expect to have those one hundred hours when you want to have them and not be restricted by availability of an aircraft. Then you can neither consider renting, nor groups because other people and factors will come into the equation. But can you afford to buy your own aircraft? And then have it sat around for and average of 6 days and 22 hours every week?

LIght aircraft utilisation tends to be very low and I often see a C150 at Barton on the ground at week-ends despite having a 20 person syndicate owning it.

Be honest with yourself about your own expected use and don't allow your dreams to rule your head - however you cut it 100 hours in a year is going to cost you about £10,000 renting or about half that in a cheap PFA Group.

If you are quite flush with money and £10,000 for 100 hours doesn't faze you, why not buy your own PFA aircraft and syndicate it yourself so you can control utilisation?

I was in a three man syndicate and the aircraft was well under used and in the best year I did 75 hours and the other two did 20 between them - not even 100 hours between the three of us.

Good luck

PS - Check out AFORS and The hangar for an idea of aircraft prices, normally a few PFA types on there