PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliders flying in cloud
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2005, 12:06
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts
Nimbus,

I haven't missed that point at all, but I hadn't noticed that transponders were being discussed until you mentioned the subject.

That's a different, even more contentious issue; I thought someone might mention it before this discussion was over.

I certainly DON'T think that gliders fly in cloud for more than a short while to gain height in a particular cloud. I'm not sure why you think I intimated that because it certainly wasn't my meaning. (Read that paragraph again - the word BEFORE is the clue).

We carry TCAS and it's an excellent safety aid, in all regimes of flight. We've heard the arguments about lack of sufficient electrical power in gliders for transponders before, which I do accept to some extent, but I think it could be overcome if there was a will (or mandate) to do so.

However, the main point of my contribution was about some glider pilots not even wanting to gain an R/T licence, and speak to ATC, let alone spend money on equipment!

Even in good VMC gliders can be notoriously difficult to see; in IMC it's a complete lottery if there is no co-ordination. I really can't understand the mentality of any pilot who pronounces: "I have a right to be here, I expect you to avoid me because the ANO says so, but don't expect ME to do anything to help YOU keep all of us safe!

That's what I meant when I referred to "the big picture".

I can give one example of how a conflict (or worse) might occur in Class G:

It's a hazy day, end of summer.
A GA aircraft is transitting towards London, VFR, in class G airspace to the east of Coventry at 2500 feet QNH and 145 kts. Coventry ATC is contacted because the track crosses the approach to runway 23, and a FIS is requested. The ATC response is a request for the aircraft to climb to 3,000ft QNH to give separation on a 737, inbound to runway 23. The Coventry conspicuity code of 0256 is selected as requested by ATC. The aircraft begins a climb and becomes marginal VMC shortly after level off, passing in and out of cloud. The crew advise ATC that they are changing to IFR and are climbing to the correct quadrantal of 3,500 ft. ATC identifies the aircraft via a position report off the DTY and upgrades the service to a RIS. All very well, separation is believed to have been achieved.

HOWEVER! In that same cloud, at FL 35 also, is a glider on a cross-country flight, not talking to anyone, not transponder equipped and not appearing on Coventry's radar........

There's another glider, in the cloud, with a 737 approaching at 250 kts, in the descent from behind.......

It's potentially out there, waiting to happen, not just near Cov. If an IMC collision occurred, which pilot might be held to blame? Probably the powered aircraft pilot, if only the word of the ANO is considered.

On the other hand, most sensible folks wouldn't even consider crossing the road or loitering in it without looking, especially after dark whilst wearing dark clothing, even on a pedestrian crossing. What's the difference?