PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Rotor Problems
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2001, 09:11
Puch

Regarding the T /R loss. Two cases are to take into account: loss of the T/R itself or loss of the control ( linkage between pedals and rotor).

The first case is worst because, there is no more thrust anymore and the stability of the fuselage is ensured only by the fin, if the helicopter is equipped with such device. In such a case, if the failure occurs in hover, there is no chance to recover the helicopter as the torque, at the occurrence is too high. If the failure occurs in flight, the helo is flyable but the only solution to rejoin the ground is autorotation.

In case of loss of control, the case is less dramatic as there is a remaining thrust. I remind my instructors teaching me the high side loss or low side loss, with specifics procedures according to the case. Modern helicopters have sometimes a damper located on the T/R system which set the T/R blade pitch angle at a standard angle in order to provides a permanent thrust. In such a case, running landing can be attempted with good chances of success.

Take a Dauphin. With its huge fin, loss of T/R control in flight could be unnoticced. It is possible, but not advised, to land such helo in hover while experiencing a T/R loss of control if the helo is light and there is a 15+ knots of wind set exactly on the RH side of the helo during a low flat approcah to land.

Cheers