PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Rotor Problems
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2001, 05:56
Flight Safety

Nick, I'd like to ask you a rather odd question, given your test pilot background. Would a small drogue chute help with a loss of tail rotor problem?

My thinking is that the drogue could be released from the extreme end of the tail boom (below the tail rotor), and the chute would also need a jetison mechanism. I was wondering if you've ever heard of such an idea.

My thinking is that following the loss of tail rotor thrust, and once the yaw has been stabilized and a descent rate with good forward airspeed established, then the drogue could be released. It seems to me this could help to add additional stability to the yaw so more power and collective could be re-applied. Of course good forward airspeed would have to be maintained for the chute to remain affective in contolling the yaw.

If the chute were effective enough at controlling the yaw so that a small climb rate could be established, then you'd have your choice of landing areas. A run on landing might be easier to accomplish with the chute, and at the very least perhaps you could choose the spot to perform an autorotative landing, which is much safer to perform if you can be selective about the landing area.

Does this idea make any sense?

------------------
Safe flying to you...

[This message has been edited by Flight Safety (edited 01 July 2001).]