PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EBA & IR Issues in Australia (Not for those easily offended!)
Old 15th Sep 2005, 23:13
Pegasus747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the deal lowerlobe, MM said at the meeting last week in sydney that a comprehensive package of imformations would be sent to all crew, including those that couldnt attend meetings and those that did.

Following that, a postal ballot will be sent to all FAAA members to vote on the NYC dispensation.

The FAAA has indicated that the dispensation will be on a bid period by bid period basis and that either party can terminate it with one bid periods notice.

They also discussed the diagnostics of who is actually bidding for the work and that its becoming a sought after trip . I personally dont like the idea of doing it but i am not afraid of a hard days work.

They also read a report by Drew Dawson the expert on fatigue who used his modelling system to analyse the pattern and the sectors, and i for one wouldnt like Qantas to get its hands on it .

It doesnt matter whether we like what the experts say though, they are either experts or they are not. Basically Drew Dawson said that there were moderate levels of fatigue on the sector. I personally think it will be a hell hard days work but i am not afraid of that in order to ensure job security.

Just look at the perth base if you wanna know what happens when you have someone that can do your work cheaper (AKA Perth Shorthaul). Those guys in LH Perth are being marginalised out of their jobs and potentially could be the 1st long haul base closed.

I dont want that to happen in melb or bris or sydney either. short haul are negotiating their EBA now. It wouldnt take much for them to negitiate changes to their "regional flying clause" and make it a full "international" clause.

Do you think somehow the FAAA International Division can change that now?? The best of our conditions were negotiated while Qantas was a govt owned airline. ever since privitisation we have been gradually eroding some things.

Largely Qantas long haul crew still enjoy the best conditions in australia and that pretty much coz we are heavily unionised and have stuck together as a group.

Lowerlobe, i am sorry if i offended you by being blunt. Its not my personal view about you coz i dont know you. we would probably fly together and get along well and not even know that we have talked on here.

Sadly the majority of crew are not passionate about things like you and the people in here. If that were the case we might even be stronger. Unfortunately i think that crew are divided. Senior, junior, base by base, division by division and overseas based crew.

We or the FAAA or the goverment havent done that. Successive mangements at Qantas have done it by stealth and we now just have to deal with the consequences.
Sadly 60% or more of crew even vote liberal so they support the govt policies.

Its a sad indictment of our society that its become so dog eat dog. If anyone has the "solution" i would be glad to hear it.

In the meantime i am happy with the communication from the FAAA. It's sensible open and honest.

I dont necessarily like what they say always but i trust their motives